Saturday, September 5, 2009

Duct Tape Dress Form

I have spent the last week skimming through online tutorials and this morning going through YouTube videos.  I liked one especially as it showed the actual taping.  So many did not show how they taped, we saw once the taping was done.  I recommend watching this YouTube video, I actually like the way they taped, it seemed to make more sense to me and I liked seeing the order of taping.  They are silly and I actually had to laugh a few times but it was very concise and I will be trying this method on my daughter.  She is the first duct tape victim of the two of us.  I would like to skim another 5-10 pounds before I do mine or I will be making one ever six months which is not a bad thing if the weight is going in the right way!

Another thing I found that I will use on ours.  I have read and watched so many construction methods for a stand or suggestions of a hall tree, etc.  The most simple I have found and cheap is a straight microphone stand which I saw here.  It is easily adjustable and I really liked how easy and clean this looks when it is finished.

For stuffing, I have been saving all those grocery bags over the last 8 months or so out of sheer laziness about getting them back to the grocery.  I did buy some of my own grocery bags, the ones the stores all sell to bring back and refill?  Well, my bags are always in the neat lower rack of the closet door rack, not in the car where they can be used!  So.. I will use the bags I have and finish off with poly-fill stuffing.  It seems most economical. 

One more thing and I can't remember where I read it or saw it. When cutting up the back, one person suggested a zig zag cut up the back as opposed to a straight up cut.  This ensures you are getting the form back together accurately.

And so, the first part of the project was done.  My daughter is small waisted and large busted and I was concerned about strapping her down but shaping does take place if you take the time to shape the tape.  We used 80 yards of tape.  I am almost wondering now if one more layer might have been better but we will see how the mounting and stuffing goes after we find a microphone stand.  Only one oopsy.  I cut her bra right off when cutting the model from her, haha.  I was so worried about keeping the scissors from hurting the skin that the bra was our only loss!

She said she felt like the tin man but all in all it was a fun project.

She has decided on her first SCA Italian Ren gown and that will be of the Florentine style, 1520-1540's.  I am very eager to get started on this project so time to find fabric, some playing around with patterning and getting that dress form done.  In another post I will give more information on her choice of gown.  I am brand new to Italian dress construction so I expect a lot of mistakes as I learn the ins and outs of Italian Fashion Medieval style.


No comments: